Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting solution implies depositing and/or sharing particular web content on a server administered by a web hosting supplier. There are different sorts of hosting services used for various goals, so let's have a peek at these. In that way, you can decide what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to launch a weblog, e-mailbox accounts, or to share files with chums and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution provided by particular file storage providers, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single function is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to read a register of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to load .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free file storage solutions are often supported by displaying advertisements beside the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a certain amount of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file storage plan, there are no limitations as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At present, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting firms, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a totally imprecise interpretation of the actual definition of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting system would divide the load between independent hosts of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, site hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is simply a variety of a disk storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific vendors offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting type is good if you wish to share an enormous number of images with friends or colleagues since the solution is generally free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to tackling your mail aliases. Some suppliers offer web site hosting services for sites, but do not supply an email service. If you desire to get an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to have a web site, then the email hosting solution is what you require. You can open mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video creates a particular amount of CPU load, so with a handful of video files and several hundred viewers, you may have trouble with your web hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will allow you to administer as many video files as you would like without worrying about system resources.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you need if you would like to own a site. To some degree, it incorporates all of the abovementioned hosting varieties since, along with your sites, you can also host pics and files, you can keep databases and e-mail aliases, upload videos, and so on. At HOFFMAN INTERNET, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that enable you to have all of the aforementioned services in one location. There may be restrictions based on the form of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse juxtaposed to the ordinary e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are made for particular content solely.